Sunday, February 19, 2012

Two from Quemada:
Mole House - Hey Come My Way 7" - Quemada
Mole House - Hey Come My Way 7" - Quemada
My current favorite record at Eggy HQ, Mole House is a new project from Mickey Zulicki of Mad Nanna, Silk Ears and the Albert's Basement label. Very classic lo-fi pop, somewhere between the hazy melancholy of early Galaxie 500 and the off-kilter shamble of the Garbage and the Flowers at their most gentle. Lots of guitar jangle and sing-speaking, lyrics about life things. Three songs, all good, all understated and unpretentious. This one is really hitting home right now, wish I had more records like it. $7
Mad Nanna - I Hit The Wall 7" - Quemada
Mad Nanna - I Hit The Wall 7" - Quemada
With releases coming at a steady clip from these guys, the quality is unflagging, and in fact, I Hit The Wall is something of surprise -- breaking from the unsettling bleakness of If I Don't Sleep Tonight the two cuts here are, well, quite catchy and quite straight. It was always true of Mad Nanna that the songs themselves were excellent -- they just happened to be played in such a manner that they barely held together. Here the band are really just being a pop band and it's great. Not slick or anything, just playing the songs well and clearly. And the songs are good -- one is good and the other is great. Highly recommended! $7

No comments: