Saturday, October 22, 2011

Noveller - Glacial Glow LP - Weird Forest
Noveller - Glacial Glow LP - Weird Forest
I was a hater. The first Noveller -- Sarah Lipstate -- track I heard was a snoozer and it came paired with a glamor shot of the artist, which automatically made the cynic in me think, "Oh, I see, because this girl's a babe, she gets to make passable drone music and people will say they like it," which is an awful thing to think and I am happy to report that I was wrong. You'll note the imprint -- Weird Forest have been behind a number of stunning LPs in the last year or two, notably the Love Cry Want double LP, the DJ Yo Yo Dieting double LP, Winter Drones, the M.B reissue. Glacial Glow is a record of restrained, textural guitar music, a slower, more elegant counterpart to Mark McGuire's recent output. While the appeal of the LP comes largely from the sense of how composed it is, the places it really shines are where the guitar playing is more open and melodic, where there is a free, krautrock feeling without an overt effort to sound like the 70s. Lots to like on this LP, looking forward to the next one.

$15, email eggyrecords@gmail.com to order it.

No comments: